I thought I was doing a really good job of packing for a few days on the boat (turned out to be six days and I am now at a friend’s house, so I am still not “home.”). I did manage to pack enough underwear (always bring twice as much as you think you need). I got the clothes part down pretty well. I even managed to remember all electronic devices necessary for running Mirrix, all power cords, my phone, etc. I have that down to a science. Then I packed two baskets: one full of silk and wool and one full of tools and a loom. It’s a Laniloom and it had a sumac piece on it I was planning to finish and remove right away so I could start a silk and wool tapestry . . . .a very little one.
What I forgot: a shedding device and a spring.
Okay, so have to live without those two things. I was okay about the shedding device because even though I always use it for tapestry weaving and lately always use the electric treadle as well, I figured the slow pace of the boat and with all that rocking, I would be fine just picking the shed with my bamboo needles. But what to do about that missing spring? I wasn’t so happy about that because even if I had the wrong size spring I could have squished in a bit or stretched it out a bit to make it work. Springs are really nice for separating those warp threads. I did come up with a solution. Hoping I don’ t have to repeat it because it took forever and wasn’t so much fun, but it did work. I twined at the top and the bottom of the loom as follows. This is the twining on the bottom followed by a few rows of weaving.
This is the twining on the top of the loom:
Here is a view from the boat:
I didn’t get to weave a whole lot. I was experimenting with weaving double and single warps as one does with two shedding devices (and our upcoming weave-along, but this time I will use shedding devices and springs!).
I actually got farther than that, but am now back at home and am going to return to weaving with the electric treadle and start getting ready for our upcoming weave along.