Hi everyone! I am back from my trip to Oklahoma and ready to blog again. Thank you all for your patience while I took some time off.
I have been working on my split loom necklace as I showed on my last post. I wanted to adhere it to some super soft black goatskin leather and I am in midstream of doing that.
I wanted to try something different and see how well it would work out. So far I am liking the results and I am finding benefits to this as well. By doing brick stitch on the edges through both layers of leather, I am capturing the side thread and it is nearly disappearing as I do that. I have also decided to do some surface work to this. Not sure exactly what yet, but I will have plenty of time to think about it as I go…this edging is going to take me a couple more days. The clasp I have pretty much decided on, but have several options to also think about. I am hoping to order the beads for my next project real soon. Can’t wait to get going on that 😀 I shall update you again in a few days.
After several redesigns from my last post, the remake I came up with, I was finally happy with. Thursday morning of this past week, I found a moment to warp the loom. I was very precise and accurate this time, as I didn’t have time constraints. I decided to do this split loom in round Miyuki beads, instead of Delica beads. I have done 2 split loom pieces before and one was Czech seed beads and the next one was Delicas, so I thought I would try Miyuki rounds this time, and quite glad I did! The loomed bead ‘fabric’ feels absolutely luscious in my hand. It is super soft and beautifully supple.
This is a work in progress photo from a few days ago.
Initially, I wanted this to be a full around the neck wrap (no closure, just put over your head), mounted on lambskin. Since I have finished the work and an hour or so ago took it off the loom, I have decided I would put a closure on it, still mount it on leather, except I found amazingly gorgeous and even more supple goatskin in my leather stash. So goatskin will back this piece and it won’t be as ‘stiff’ as lambskin would have been. The lambskin I have is soft and supple, but not as much as the goatskin. By putting a backing on this, this will also allow fringe, if I should chose to, and I think this will also make it more sturdy for longer durability, less fragility to the owner.
I have woven in a bulk of the threads. The threads I have left to weave in are going to be stitched directly through the leather and tied off on the back side. When all of that is done, I will add a second leather back and put them together as I would a bead embroidery. I bought 2 gorgeous buttons for the closure today. Not sure if I will use one or both yet. Below is what it looks like right now.
It is a nice length. I didn’t use pure white, the white is a gold-lined white opal in color with opaque black as the contrast. I am going to try to finish it this week, but for now I have to put it down for a few days.