Secret Project Reveal Time
Hi everyone! I finally finished the project. It came with much learning as it went along. Let me show you first, then I will explain what I learned. Dave named it ‘Midsummer Night’s Dream’. The name is used frequently by many, but I still liked it.
One of the things I have been wondering about for a while now is why the loom work ‘crinkles’ when you take it off the loom. I don’t know if my answer is right or if there are other answers, but I did figure out how to fix that after you take it off the loom and maybe why it happens to start with. I used KO thread on this project, similar to C-Lon D. There is a stretch factor with this thread and when you tighten the warp threads, you are stretching the thread. I stretched it before I put it on the loom, perhaps I shouldn’t, so it can stretch the one time when you tighten the warp. In any case, before I weave ends in, tape or do anything to the bottoms of the work, I am from now on, am going to rub the work to flatten out. Kind of like rubbing out a bubble under a sticker.
The other ‘issue’ I had was how to make a 16 dent spring, you can see that on a previous blog post.
There are 4 panels on the lamp. Each of them took me 2-3 days, which felt like a lifetime with life happening all around me and no pause button 🙂 I used 5 spools of KO and 9 Delica colors. I bought bulk in the Delicas, but I am going to wager there is close/around 300 grams of beads on there. The lamp measure 11 1/4″ in height and is 5″ square. I was going to do some fringe around the top, but by the time I finished assembly, I kind of just wanted to be done. I may add fringe at a later date. My ONLY regret about this whole project is that the length of the panels was only just right and not a few rows longer. So after all this work, I see the flaw and that upsets me. I measured several times for overlap, I suppose one more measure would have done the trick….next time that won’t happen. I vowed I would never make another, but, ultimately, I love the concept and the beauty, so one of these days, I will make another 🙂
Below is the video I made of the assembly process. I know I used the same ‘tune’ as the last time, but I kind of cherish it as my ‘theme’ song LOL