Off the loom
Here is the piece off the loom finally. My first Mirrix-made tapestry! My plan is to add some shag-like protrusions from the area where you can see the warps threads, as well as maybe a gold veil over the multicolored semi-circle. As mentioned in my last post I used two strands of fingering weight merino for most of it, which made for a very thin piece. I didn’t know tapestry could feel so thin. Also, I’m not sure that merino is a great medium for tapestry since it pills easily, although maybe that is a good pairing for tapestry that is not worn. If anyone wants to weigh in I’d love to hear more about the kinds of wool that work well for tapestry and why.
For the multicolored area I used Madelinetosh Tosh DK in the Mansfield Garden Party colorway. I think that is the thickest yarn that I would use for the 12 DPI setup. I began by weaving it straight across but wasn’t fond of the stripes, so I switched to shape building. With each color that arose I built a blob. Below is an old photo of that yarn that I took when I first bought it. I decided to include it here because it is doubly relevant since it also shows the makeshift tapestry loom that I was using before I got my Mirrix. I made it out of an old chair! (when a girl has to weave…). I feel so spoiled now with my Mirrix. It really is the sexiest textile tool I own.
and here’s me with my Mirrix…