A Mini Tutorial – Hemp and Button Clasp
If you can tie your shoes, you can make this clasp!
Greetings Weaving Friends!!! As promised, I am posting the instructions for the macrame finishing of my Magical Mosaic Cuff. You can do this using a simple square knot. It really isn’t difficult. As I have mentioned before, experimenting with 20 lb hemp warp cords was fun and rewarding. Visible and bold warps are a colorful way to add another dimension to your bead weaving on the loom. The durability, lack of stretch, and array of colors makes hemp a very nice scaffold for heavy beads and the large button. (If you are looking for a source for hemp click here). Czech glass buttons are a stunning way to accent your bracelet – and functional as well. (Here’s a source for my buttons).
In pictures, here’s what you do to create the clasp….
For those who like words….
Attach the Button
1. Tie a series of square knots with each of the 2 sets of 3 cords. Approximately 5 knots on each side with create a good fit for a 25 mm button.
2. Working on the back side of the bracelet, bring both cords of knots together by threading the 2 center cords of the 6 through the shank. Treat the outer 2 cords on each side as “one cord” and tie one large square knot capturing the button shank.
3. If you are satisfied with the fit, pull tight. Secure the 6 cords in an overhand knot or a wrap knot. Snip excess and add glue to the knot and all tips.
Create Button Loop
4. Using the 6 remaining warp cords on the other side, create 2 cords of knots using square knots as you did in step one.
5. Make enough knots to create a loop that fits over the button. Keep the sides symmetric with same number of knots.
6. Bring the 2 sides together in a loop using an overhand knot. Test the clasp. If satisfied, pull tight, snip and add glue to secure.
Have fun…and check out my webstore for the beautiful beads seen in this bracelet.
Peace, Beads, and Weaves…
Julia L. Hecht, Owner / Designer
Poppyfield Bead Company