Frustrated because I hadn’t broken any new ground (at least new ground for me) I randomly decided to put a warp of magenta hand-dyed silk on an eight inch loom using the new kit. Wasn’t really sure where I was going to go with that until I dug into a basket of beads and came up with some magatamas (4 x 7 mm), some size 8/0s and some triangle beads. I also dug out some gold thread. This thread is flat and gold plated on both sides. It fit inside the eye of my tulip beading needles so it was a go.
My goal was to let the beautiful silk thread show. This thread would have been impossible to weave in after the weaving was done hence the use of the kit. Another goal was to let the beads speak for themselves and not try to speak for them. What I mean by that: I wanted the piece to be playful and somewhat random. But not bead soup. And as I wove it I realized it was actually free form bead weaving. I don’t know if that is a term already in use, but if it isn’t, it should be, and this is what it is!
The piece took me all of thirty minutes to weave (about five minutes to warp) and when it was done, it was done. If it is to become a bracelet I need to think about a clasp. I am leaning toward threading beads on one of the two silk ends to make the circle of a clasp and creating a peyote tube to be attached to the other silk end. This takes care of the ends and the clasp but I suppose one could just add a standard clasp by using the silk ends.
Seems to me that the possibilities are endless for this concept. I think I got outside my box today!
|The piece in progress on the Mirrix Loom|
|Close up of that gold thread|